PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I grew up racing and riding trails up until around 6 years ago when I sold my last race bike and got into 4x4 atvs when I found out we were gonna have our first little one. My younger brother just recently started riding again and talked me back into the sport I got a 04 crf 450r and am hooked. Where I live I have neighbors all around all at fair distance from my property but I'm pretty respectful and try to keep the peace around here lol, anyways there is no way I can ride the 450 in my yard and I don't have time to load up every weekend to ride the closest track is over an hr away, so this got me thinking my kid is 5 and he needs a bike so we went out and bought him a coolster 50 style bike and he loves it the first time I rode it I was hooked, my wife says I bought it for myself so I had to go out and buy my own just to show her lol.
I ended up getting 2 klx 110s on a trade for a 22 pistol and $500 and so it begins. This all started about 2 Mos ago the coolster was his early Christmas present. One of the 110s is an 05 all stock gonna leave it this way other than stiffer fork springs and shock, the other had a bent valve and output shaft was broken so I figured this is the the one to mod it was also missing the clutch cover and Kickstart shaft since it needed the clutch cover I couldn't find any for under $35 so I figured might as well get a manual kit that will come with a new one so I ordered the tb parts kit from tbolt. as I got to reading different post on here i realized while I had the motor out might as well throw some more $$ at it and went ahead and ordered 4 speed drum HD output shaft and 55 mm stroker crank got the Kickstart shaft off eBay pretty cheap and went ahead and ordered all new bearings and seals for the bottom end new gasket set and rings oil seals new exhaust valve and valve seals should all be in the middle of the week may get it back together this weekend if all goes right.
I searched pages and couldn't find anything why don't many of ya'll budget builders just extend the factory swingarm is there any threads on this i have a few ideas but on everyone's post I keep reading about getting the geometry right so what is the best way to a go about this i can fab and weld just fine and done my fair share of it all so I'm really just wanting to make sure I don't get the suspension all jacked up and hacked up. I'll post pics of both bikes tomorrow night when I get off and take a few progress pics of the track later this week it has been wet here lately and the bobcat destroys the yard unless it is dry so really haven't been messing with it too much but it will get there
Any suggestions on this build would be appreciated as i am a newbie to minis. my plans as of now are kx 65 front end, 143 kit and head, pitster swinger unless I can get some good info on extending the factory one, better shock, high rise bars, tall seat new plastics and graphics and some misc. billet parts a cradle and skid plate and I need info on what the quietest exhaust is like factory loud but aftermarket gotta keep the neighbors happy if there isn't one guess I'll be making one and also the oil in this motor was goop I would think the oil pump is pretty worn and thinking about getting another should I get the takegawa from tbolt or just stick with oem parts for this i know it's a lot but thanks in advance for any input

·
Registered
783 Posts
I would stick with factory oil pump. Ive been running a stroked 143 for years without any problems with factory pump. Keep an eye on the classifieds here for a plus 3 or four inch hoop style swingarm. They can be had very reasonable. If you go with a KX65 or even a pitster (MX) style swingarm - you run into much different shock geometry and it opens a can of worms that's not necessary if you stay with the original style swingarm. Keep in mind the extended ones do away with the 1970's style chain adjustment too. So even if you can do the fab work to extend your stock swingarm - you run the risk of getting geometry wrong and your still gonna have old style chain adjusters - - when you can pick up an aftermarket extended one on here for about 150 shipped. Best of luck with the track - I have one in my yard as well - post some pics when you git r dun.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Looks to me you got a good list of parts for that bike. You are gonna do bike like mine. Just make sure you watch out when you buy a pitster rear end. Like the brakes and stuff. I have an oem oil pump for sale if you need it. And the quietest exhaust is a bbr d2 with cancel core insert.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya mahinsminis I had nothing better to do but i don't blame you I didn't realize how long it was until I posted it,I'll make sure the rest are short and to the point

Ls1 and maktastik thanks for the Info I will keep an eye out and hopefully have this thing up and running soon and if it ever quit raining get back to work on this track
gonna post a few pics of the bikes in a minute and will get a few of the track tomorrow

Any other parts or info from anybody hit me up I'm in the market

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
ive got 3 110's. My boys ride the stock bikes on our backyard track. I put a used motohp 150 kit and bored out the carb on mine just so I can keep up and clear the jumps. Drilled out the stock pipe restricter and did the airbox mod. Stiff springs and a fox float in the rear. Don't make it too fast or too loud. It will be hard to ride on a tight track. Welcome to planetminis

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No offense taken its a dang book and thanks all for the welcomes
The track is in progress right now just a bunch of dirt piled up around where we want the jumps and berms have a few that are shaped up enough to jump but still waiting on a buddy to bring in some real dirt so we can make it all legit
And I'm not worried about speed it Will very rarely see full size track I need bottom end torque, my brother also has a stocker and he can blow me out just cause our size difference bout 60 lbs he can run the track in 2 gear were I have to run in 1st I know the main gearing on these is the sprockets so just gonna see where the stoker crank leaves it and try out a few different sprockets and ride it till it dies and then go with the big bore.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Best thing is your having fun! Thats whats its all about..I too am looking into building a track possibly..I got into pit bikes 2yrs ago after jumping off my last big bike 03 yz480 stage 2 cams with all the bells and whistles..Man that thing was crazy loud and fast..But I was crazier for thinking at 43 would still be riding it.lol So I just sold it and bought mutable pit bikes and still tear it up...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
heres the parts list so far
bbr tall seat
white plastics crf 70 front fender and sik 110s graphis
billet qtr turn throttle
tb 55 mm stroker crank
tb manual clutch
tb 4th gear drum
tb 143 kit with v1 head and vm26 carb
pro taper 110 bend bars
billet wide pegs
03 ktm 65 swinger and shock
03 ktm 65 forks
03 ktm 65 wheels and brakes front and rear
two brothers header
Just waitin on the pax racing bearings for the ktm front end

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

few pics of what we got happening and the cummins powered c30 for shits and giggles

give me some input guys got alot more pics if anyone wants to see anything else working on the top shock mount for the 65 shock it is a pain but think i bout got it nailed. anyone wanting to do this swap go for it, it is not that technical and i would assume te kx 65 is very similar unless you run the linkage setup i have around 3.5-4 hrs in it with the top shock mount 90% done can give step by step also if anyone is interested sure measurements will be different for different setups but all the same principal

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
some of the welds look like crap but i believe they will hold that's what i like to call gorilla welds lol i took a pic of a few good welds to justify the others and the track has changed quite abit i will get some more recent photos of it as well

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
before anyone says something lol, that is not the only upper shock mount bracket there is another that connects to the backbone of the frame made of 3/16 plate you an see the 4th pic, an it is not mounted to the subframe either there is a tiny gap just made it wide enough to catch both sides the sub just in case, I would rather bend the sub frame than take a shock up a$$ lol but highly doubt it will bend i will get some pics of it with the plastics off soon

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my rigged factory silencer mated to the tbr header doesn't sound half bad will work for now gonna hold out for a Yoshi. I still gotta make rear master cylinder mount and do up the front forks and somehow stiffen the rear so I can lower it down a little other than that i'm pretty much done for the summer, now it's time to ride! this winter i plan on taking her down one more time looking for some blue or black triple trees gonna have the frame powdered blue the fork legs polished or chromed both the stator and clutch covers stripped and polished and powder coat the swinger white and the wheels and hubs blue with white spoke wraps and after all this I will almost have enough parts left over for a roller may be a stock mod in the works soon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.